The Planning Division is responsible for:
- Administering land use regulations for the City of Bismarck and its extra-territorial area (ETA).
- Coordinating the development review process for zoning changes, major and minor subdivision plats, annexations, special use permits, variances, lot modifications, plat modifications (right-of-way vacations, easement releases, street name changes), site plan review and downtown design review.
- Administering HUD Grant Programs (CDBG and HOME) for the City.
- Administering Downtown Programs (Renaissance Zone and CORE) for the City.
- Providing staff support to the Planning & Zoning Commission, the Board of Adjustment and the Renaissance Zone Authority.
The City of Bismarck's Community Development Department has planning, zoning and building inspection authority within the City of Bismarck and its extra-territorial area (ETA).
On January 1, 2014, a revised extra-territorial area (ETA) boundary for the City of Bismarck went into effect (map). This new ETA boundary was negotiated between the City and Burleigh County. The City also has a negotiated ETA boundary with Apple Creek Township and Naughton Township and is in the process of negotiating an ETA boundary with Missouri Township. The City of Bismarck continues to have planning and zoning authority within the ETA boundary.
In addition, as of January 1, 2014, Burleigh County discontinued its contract for planning services with the City of Bismarck. The Burleigh County Building/Planning/Zoning Department can be reached at (701)221-3727.
The Planning Division is located on the second floor of the City-County Office Building at 221 North 5th Street.
Resources & Information
Infill and Redevelopment Plan
Downtown Bismarck Sub Area Plan
2014 Growth Management Plan
Kim Lee - Planning Manager
William Hutchings - Planner/Land Use Planning
Daniel Nairn - Planner/Land Use Planning
Sue Redman - Planner/HUD Grant Programs
Jenny Wollmuth - Planner/Land Use Planning
Hilary Balzum - Administrative Assistant
Sandra Bogaczyk - Office Assistant I